Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Thank you notes need a little procrastination

Not sure if I should tell my seven year old the art of writing thank you notes. You see, she was on the phone with her BFF in California (we’re still visiting TX) and her friend wrote a song. She sung it for AM2 and then said she was going to put it on a CD and mail it. AM2 thought it was a beautiful song and she checks the mail everyday for the CD. Shortly after she had hung up she began tearing through the apartment looking for her special notebook and pencil. Then she furiously wrote, wrote and wrote. Next she asked me for an envelope. My curiosity got the best of me and I asked, “What and to whom are you writing?” She then explained that she had written a thank you note for her friend and it is ready to go when she receives the CD.

Hmmmm. Wish I had that foresight. Instead, I take at least 6-8 months after I receive a gift to write my thank you. Then it gets stuffed in a drawer in which 1-2 years later I find the thank you note…usually unaddressed since the reason I stuck it in the drawer was because I couldn’t find the person’s address. Then of course there is the elusive stamp issue… Hence a lot of times that thank you note becomes an “it’s the thought that counts” casualty.

I need to inform her that she can drop her seven year old Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and relax a little. No need to hurry because she has at least two years before her Thank You Statute of Limitations expires! (The OCD is from her father’s side of course.)

No comments: