Saturday, August 9, 2008

Momager

After admiring my youngest one’s newest 'work"http://shop.hm.com/se/?action=viewcampaign665kidsjackets&section=G, I decided to do some research on child modeling. I ran across a thesis a man wrote concerning the use of child models for advertising. It was disturbing in that he highlights how high end designers are guilty of "adultification" of child models for advertising purposes. You know, we make children appear to be adults and thus losing their innocence. Somewhere in this thesis he throws in a reference of Jon Benet and that's where he lost me.
I knew there were those who are opposed to the idea of subjecting children to the Hollywood scene and all its debauchery. However, this has not been our experience. Instead, my children have been forced to play dress up.....how sickening! They have people who cater to every beck and call while never leaving my ever watching eye...the gall! Then the girls laugh all the way to the bank...heaven help us!
I get what the author was trying to say about these advertisements but I think he was placing the blame in the wrong arena. So who cares that Americans are stupid and want pretty people to sell them clothes. Is that the fault of the advertisers, designers, or models? No, it is our own selfish desires to be the most beautiful, popular or rich. Therefore if I felt the need to justify my actions I would say "hey my girls are just capitalizing on America's selfishness." Besides, I get some really cool pictures for my walls!

No comments: