Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ocho Cinco, I must go there.

I have to go there. I have to.

It seems that there is a young NFL star that has legally changed his name from Chad Johnson to Chad Ocho Cinco. He plays for the Cincinnati Bengals and wears you guessed it…number 85! Originally he had placed the name on his jersey 2 years ago in honor of National Hispanic Month and was slapped with a 5k fine. I’m pretty sure he isn’t Hispanic. (I’m just saying.)

Now I have two perspectives on this. First as a mother I think how terrible. His mom spent some time planning and thinking—not necessarily about his last name but still you want it all to sound good when it rolls off the tongue. It was easy and safe, not all NFL stars are so lucky. Oh the horror of what my two girls would pick!

Secondly, I look at this as a person who has always had last names that people could not pronounce. Growing up people always messed it up and it really wasn’t all that difficult. Then I got married. To a Thai man. Apparently he experienced the same problem. My sister in law and husband would pretend to be the Smiths, Jones, and yes by gosh the Johnsons when going out to eat because it was much easier than getting the hostess to even attempt their last name. (A Thai name and people in Alabama with thick southern accents do not mix!) So dude Chad had it easy, smooth sailing at the Cracker Barrel. He is apparently making way too much money and having way too much free time on his hands to dream up something this crazy. I’m sure the publicity doesn’t hurt either. (sigh)

Ocho Cinco, party of four your table is now available.

No comments: