Tuesday, September 2, 2008

It’s time to build a tower.

So the events of this fabulous Labor Day weekend have led me to the conclusion that the whole Rapunzel thing isn’t such a bad idea.

My 7 year old daughter has developed a crush. She has had a few before and they usually pass without much worry. I don’t feed into them and cause a frenzy because hey she is only 7. But this one was disturbing on two levels. First, it was the University of Alabama’s quarterback. It was after the game when the token girl sideline reporter tracked this young fellow down for an interview. My oldest stopped in her tracks and looked longingly at the TV screen asking, “Who’s that mommy?” My stomach churned and I tried to be ignorant of her obvious feelings by saying, “Why honey? He’s from the Univ of Alabama so we don’t really care who he is.” This didn’t deter her at the moment and so I commented that she thought he was cute, she blushed and nodded. If I call her out sometimes that ends her pursuit…what could be worse than your mom knowing your secret, right? She soon realized her error as I finished preparing her for bed. She pined as if she was in a Shakespeare novel, “Why do I always fall for the ones who are famous and I’ll never meet? Or the ones that are part of the enemy?” Oh you poor dear destined for ill fated love. Whatever, kid you are only 7!

The second disturbance was when the news of VP hopeful Sara Palin’s daughter hit the news wire. I was already in the state of you are way too young for---fill in the blank. Now I have to wrap my mind around the fact that eventually I will be a mom to two teenage girls with all the drama and mayhem that accompanies it. (I used to be a teenage girl myself) My husband says he plans to stay deployed until they are in college and so I may have to endure those years alone. That leaves me to start making my plan and since I often prefer avoidance rather than confrontation, I am going visit Home Depot or Lowe’s and start stocking up on large cinder blocks.

1 comment:

ChristinaM1981 said...

Hi and thanks for the comment!

Yes I do lead an interest life; however, here in Birmingham I am in a "safe haven." HAHA! There are tons of liberals here all races, creeds, sexes, and so on. However, when you leave B'ham, you better take cover!! I am the only liberal in my entire family and boy do they let me know it! Come by again sometime! Your family is beautiful. :)