Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I lost my filter.

It seems that my beloved youngest daughter is missing something. Yep, she is missing that filter that keeps us from saying exactly what is on our minds. Any thought and any where comes streaming out of her mouth. This isn’t unusual since I think most parents experience at least one child in their family who causes the hairs on their neck to stand up when the take them into the public eye. I’m sure this filter will develop in the next year or two and then life will become boring and hum drum with everyone of us being politically correct and all.

My husband finds this odd and peculiar since our very mature seven year old developed her filter at a very young age. So the other night he asks her if she thinks about things before saying them or just says them. AM2 didn’t really understand the question but she held out her hands and shrugged. It was if she was saying, “What is there to think about?”

Here are some examples of her current ramblings, one of which occurred in a public place and she felt no need to whisper—in fact she doesn’t know how to whisper:
Why did that man come in the restaurant without shoes on?
Good point
Why are those crazy people riding in the back of that truck?
Another good point

A fun pastime of mine is to imagine what it would sound like if I was missing my filter in the same situation she was placed. Here it goes:
Scenario 1: Hey genius, did you lose the only pair of shoes you own? You know it really is unhealthy to walk around without shoes all the time, especially in public places. Just ask the children in Africa. I could perhaps overlook this if we were in an eating establishment on the beach but we aren’t. Also, I find it offensive to look at your gnarly toes while I’m trying to eat.
Scenario 2: Hey rednecks could you please stop riding in the back of trucks? I hate having to re-explain to my children how unsafe it is and how I like their heads exactly where they are…on top of their bodies. I mean thirty years ago this was ok but now with all the research that seat belts do work maybe you should give one a try! (All this being screamed out of my car window of course—that’s not redneck, right?)

No comments: