Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Technology's curse

So I shared the following story with my sister in law by text message and I didn’t realize how disturbing it truly was until I saw it there in black and white.

I taped the Grammy Awards for my girls because they wanted to “see the Jonas Brothers in high definition.” That’s what the 7 year old said. So no problem I thought because that is exactly why God invented the DVR, right? Well as a tired, pregnant mom I have taught the girls how to use the DVR so that if they get up at zero dark thirty they can watch their precious shows. (I also don’t let them watch TV in the evening so they have to record all their favorite shows.)

So back to the Grammy’s. They knew I had recorded the show and before I was up they decided to find their precious Jonas Brothers. However, there was a lot of singing on the way and they fast forwarded through most of it…. As I was making breakfast it became real evident what they didn’t fast forward through as they started to sing, “I kissed a girl and I liked it.” I tried really hard to hide my shock and horror but my mouth was on the floor. If the song had been on the radio, no big deal. However, this was a live performance and so they saw that the singer was Katy Perry, a girl. I had to spend the entire morning explain why it isn’t ok for them to sing the song and just laugh since they thought it was funny that a girl was singing that song---silly, just silly we concluded. Of course I know this is stored in their memory banks along with other off limits things they have seen and heard and it will be used against me at the most inopportune moment!

No comments: